Alan Rickman (1946-2016)



There are no words that can encapsulate the immense sorrow I felt on hearing about the passing of the great Alan Rickman, a man of whom has etched himself into my life as Hans Gruber, Serverus Snape, The Sheriff of Nottingham and Colonel Brandon. It's not that there aren't other great roles he's done, perhaps to a much greater effect, but these felt like they were mine. These were the ones I grew up with, that I re-watched, that I giggled to, that I sympathized with.

However, it's his Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility that's gotten me the most. Perhaps it's because I'm a hopeless romantic, perhaps it's because it's a well-casted, brilliantly written and directed piece of costume drama. Emma Thompson adapting Jane Austen, and Ang Lee (of Brokeback Mountain fame) in the director seat - not much can go wrong. Alan was known for doing villains. But he really wanted to be remembered for his more quiet roles, the ones where he was kind, the ones where he almost didn't speak, yet spoke great volumes with just his presence.


“I trusted him absolutely. He was, above all things, a rare and unique human being and we shall not see his like again.” - Emma Thompson

Comments

Popular Posts